Director - Puzzles and Graphic Design
Title: Director- Puzzles & Graphic Design
Reports to: VP Product Development
Buffalo Games is seeking a dynamic, innovative, and passionate Director of Puzzles & Graphic design to join our exceptional creative team in our game and puzzle studio.
Buffalo Games is an American manufacturer and marketer of award-winning Family Games and finest quality Jigsaw Puzzles. Our products are manufactured in a self-owned and operated plant in Buffalo, NY. We take great pride in our manufacturing expertise and craftsmanship and relentlessly deliver on the highest quality standards and experience that our consumers have come to expect from the Buffalo brand.
The Director of Puzzles & Graphic Design is responsible for leading, motivating and mentoring the team to produce innovative and on time results across the Buffalo puzzle portfolio. The design leader helps to prioritize projects and provides design and package direction across the product line. The person in this role has excellent communication skills and the ability to lead both internal and external design resources.
• Works well independently and acts as team leader for the graphic design staff.
• Responsible for sourcing and selection of all new puzzle images; work with external artists as needed to direct image development and adjustments.
• Mastery of image editing, enhancement, and creation to maximize the puzzle experience.
• Position requires excellent knowledge of the commercial printing process and consumer goods.
• Demonstrates a solid understanding of the brands and the competitive environment in Kids and Adult Puzzle segment.
• Drives new ideas & innovation in the puzzle category, including non-traditional puzzle formats.
• Identifies trends and strong licenses that could translate well in puzzles.
• Works with production & plant team to ensure integrity of design in final deliverables.
• Works with product management & operations teams to set priorities, schedules and assign projects.
• Effectively communicate all project related progress/challenges or concerns to the team in a timely and professional manner.
• Assists sales & marketing teams as needed to develop presentation assets for trade shows, retailer line reviews, and new business initiatives.
• Has excellent problem-solving skills.
• Maintain knowledge of new technologies within your area of expertise
• MUST love to have fun – this is who we are and what we create!
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• Undergraduate degree in Graphic Design, (BFA) or equivalent
• A strong sense of design and good use of typography.
• Minimum of 8-10 years’ experience as a professional graphic or product designer – consumer good field preferred. Agency experience a plus.
• In-depth knowledge (proficiency) of Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, InDesign, and 3D rendering software. Additional software a plus including CAD or 3D rendering capabilities.
• Must be proficient with Mac based operating systems.
• Outstanding creative, artistic, and problem-solving talents.
• Competence in the oversight and management of multiple projects and tasks
• Concise and effective communication skills
• Ability to work individually as well as part of a team.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, preferably experienced in presenting information before management teams
• Competence in the oversight and management of multiple projects and tasks with tight timelines
• Must be highly organized and detail orientated - especially with design systems and files
• Up to date on current trends (graphics, advertising, fashion, entertainment, cosmetics, pop culture, etc.)
This position offers an excellent compensation package which includes health insurance and a 401(k) plan. Please send your resume and other application materials to [email protected], or mail to Buffalo Games – 220 James E. Casey Drive, Buffalo NY 14206